Tuesday, February 9, 2016

TOY REVIEW: Vance Astro (Shield-Wielding Heroes pack)


The leader and founder of the Guardian of the Galaxy, Vance Astro!

        I must admit, I haven't read up anything that included Vance Astro so I'm pretty much new to this character. But upon research, I found out that Vance and Yondu were the founders of the orginal Guardians of the Galaxy thus the star insignia they both have on their chest. A storyline also noted that he hunted and was able to acquire the once lost shield of Capt. America, then would later on adopt a similar costume to Cap and changed his name to Major Victory.


Here's the rest of the assortment for 2016 Mavel Legends Series Wave 1 - Comic Packs.

Mechanical Masters, Defenders of Asgard, Shield-Wielding Heroes

Where did I acquire it?: Sir Eric's Distribution
How much?: SRP of 1,499.75
Condition during acquisition: MOC

Packaging:
        Finally the comic packs are back! I can't remember the last time they put one of these out! It's still patterned after the single pack Marvel Legends Series. Though I don't dig the name, I'm certainly digging the package design. It looks premium and made for adults. At the back you can see the rest of the comic packs, with a large artistic shot. With the return of these comic packs, I do hope we get the team boxsets as well down the road.

        Shield-Wielding Heroes pack comes with the Secret Wars 001 variant comic with the inclusion of All New Captain America #1


Accessories:

Vance Astro comes with a c-clipped shield, which also feels kinda cheap to me. I don't know if its the paint or the material itself. It feels different from the ones we usually get.

Sculpt:
+ Fairly sculpted figure
+ Neat facial sculpt

Paint:

+ Great use of pearlescent white paint.
+ Neatly painted lines
+ Clean chest insignia.
+ Eyes are painted well.


Articulation:   
        It uses the standard body mold with cut-back articulation from the recently released figures.

Size Comparison:
MLS Yondu | MLS Vance Astro
custom MU Vision | MLS Vance Astro (MLS might be using this exact mold for their upcoming Vision)
Shield-Wielding Heroes comic pack

Angle View:
click to enlarge

Playtime Pics:



Overall Grade

        The character is a nice addition, since we recently got Yondu in Wave 1. I've always been a fan of Hasbro producing these non-mainstream characters. I just hope they follow it up with a few more original members of the Guardians of the Galaxy.

         Figure wise, though it may look plain, it stayed true to the characters comic look and I must say it was executed well! I couldn't see a better way to make this figure, except for maybe using the modern MU buck. But other than that, everything was done well and great. Same as Yondu, I consider this one to be the dark horse of the wave.

Accessories - 5/5
Sculpt - 4.5/5
Paint - 5/5
Articulation - 3/5
Value - 3/5
Final Grade - 4.2/5



No comments:

Post a Comment