Sunday, September 30, 2012

TOY HAUL/ ARTICLE: Superhero Showdown Spider-man | Superhero Showdown Line


        Recently got hold of my third Superhero Showdown figure! Thanks to jedicholo's FS thread in PTK. I got this for only Php 200! Yay me!

        For those who aren't familiar with it, it's an old line created by Toy Biz the same manufacturer that handled the 6" Legends line before Hasbro owned the said company. It was released back in 2005, which includes a gimmicky game that involves cards and dice of some sort. Its scale is within 4" which makes it fully compatible with the Marvel Universe line.

        Since I began collecting last year, I've been reading how great the Showdown line was in terms of sculpt and articulation of some figures. And rightfully so, there are some figures which are superior compared to its Hasbro counterpart.

        The first Showdown figure I acquired was Doc Ock, and it was the figure that made me hunt for more Showdown figures. Just look at the comparison of all released 3.75" Doc Ock below (click the picture for a better look) :

(L-R: Showdown Line, Spider-man Line, Amazing Spider-man Line)

        As you can see, the Showdown Doc Ock has a terrific sculpt plus great articulation!  It represents well the vintage Doc Ock that we all know. As for the two, seriously Hasbro, T-crotch articulation???

        My second Showdown figure was the Berserker Wolverine. There are a llllloooooottt of  Wolverine figures in the same scale out in the market. So I wasn't really planning on getting another one for my collection, since I'm trying to avoid duplication of characters as much as possible. Plus I've already gotten an unmasked Wolvie which comes with Silver Samurai, though I'm not a big fan of it. However when I saw this, I knew I had to get me one!

(L-R: Showdown Line, XMO Line)

        The Showdown line has a great detailed sculpt specially on his face. The rage on Wolvie's expression is downright bad-ass! As for the XMO line.. LOL!

        And finally my third and most recent haul. The Showdown Spider-man. Many collectors consider this one of the best, if not the best comic accurate Spider-man figure in the 3.75" scale! I've been hunting for this, for some time now and finally I've gotten hold of one! The figure looks great in hand! I've always been a fan of sculpted web lines on Spidey's costume, as compared  to painted ones, which made me undecided whether or not to keep or sell the regular Ultimate Spider-man. Articulation is awesome as well! It covers the essential points for those Spidey poses. I also believe it is the only Spider-man figure, in this scale, to have a web slinging hand plus a wrist hinge which is a WINNER! With tons and tons of Spider-man figures out there, I can say this can be your default Spider-man. See pics below:

(L-R: Showdown Line, Marvel Universe Line)

        However, one thing I noticed with this line is that the figures seem so brittle! Like the Spider-man figure I got, it's head and arms easily falls off. So it's best to handle it with care. :D


        Here are some other Showdown figures worth adding to one's MU collection which are mostly hard to find these days and have jacked up prices in most cases.


        Here's a photo of the whole toyline:


Most photos courtesy of: Cool Toy Review



1 comment:

  1. that XMO wolverine was the happiest wolverine i've ever seen. it's like he's so contented with his life -he's definitely got it made.

    ReplyDelete