Sunday, November 24, 2013

TOY HAUL: Ultimate Haul Update & Stuffs 2


       Just when I promised to end my hiatus, I did it again. This time it's even longer. I can't believe it has almost been a year and 2 months since my last post, and boy did things happened. As usual, I've been busy with my work, which kept me from finding time to update my blog. But then again, nothing can stop me from hunting! It's what we alpha males do! uhhmm.. toy hunting that is. So here are the additional plastic weights for my shelves to support which I have acquired this 2013.
        Oh, and welcome back to me.. Yay! One thing's for sure, I'll be back posting reviews and updates more often and this time I'm pretty sure of that since I'll be having a lot of free time by the end of this month. So let's get on with the update!
     Time does fly so fast! It has been a year, and I do admit, I miss doing this. I mean taking photos, reviewing, ranting and writing about toy related stuffs just to get it off my system. And I'm just so glad to be back! A lot has happened with my life as a toy collector during my long hiatus. As you all know, I've been sticking with my lone line which is MU, or anything in that scale just as long as its Marvel. I decided to stick with just one, so as to control my spendings. However, around November of last year I was then influenced by son_goku, a fellow MU collector turned Minimate-adik, to follow a new line which you guessed it right, Minimates.
     My initial plan was just to get the Avengers big 4, but like every collectors' cliche'd dilemma, they looked lonely and as days passed they multiplied like Gremlins.It has become an addiction, that I found myself spending more acquiring these figs, and leaving my MU collection hanging. So to cut things short, I quit the line and sold all of them and vowed to focus on my MU collection. It was sad parting ways with them, as we did share some priceless moments.. okay, let's not go there.

A part of my Minimate collection before we parted ways :'(
     As I started to be serious with my toy collecting I've always limited myself to the 3 3/4 scaled Marvel figures. Other than that, there's nothing on my shelf that's not Marvel except for a 12" Marcus Fenix figure and a McFarlane Series 1 Allen Iverson figure which I decided to hold on to. But sometimes you just got to give in to your urge to satisfy that craving, and here are some of the exemptions I've acquired which are non-Marvel figures.
Non-Marvel Hauls

  • Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Classic Collection SetI remember browsing various toy groups in Facebook, and these were the rave back then. As I saw them, I felt the nostalgic vibe it emits. I remember my childhood in the 90's when I used to have VHS collection of the half shelled turtles TV show that I would usually watch during the afternoon. I was torned on whether or not to get them, since obviously they're not Marvel, but there's something in me that wanted to get them since they look so awesome! So I did a bit of research, and watched some reviews of it, and boy did it even pushed my urge to get the whole set. And that I did. After work, I immediately rushed to Toy Kingdom, and found the last set on the shelf. I immediately told the sales-representative that I'll get the whole set. So I did give in, without giving much attention to its price for I know it will leave a huge hole on my wallet. I bought them at SRP price of P899.75 each! Ouch! It was a result of an impulse buying, but in the end I must admit these figures are well worth it.

    However, as months passed by cheaper versions of these turtles popped up in Divisoria. They are believed to be class-A or imitations of these figures. Its upsets me that some sellers take advantage of these and sell them stating that they are authentic. But as good as it looks, there are still some differences we can take note of. As pointed out by Jo XToyz here

    And if you want to know where I spent the funds I got from selling my Minimate collection, yup it all went here. Damn these turtles!
  • Gears of War 3 3/4" Set
    As I stated earlier, I kept my 12" Marcus Fenix figure. The reason? Gears of War is one, if not, the best bad-ass game I've ever played in my opinion. Marcus Fenix is just so hardcore! The gameplay and storyline are wicked 'nuff said! So when I heard that NECA would produce them in a 3 3/4" scale, I knew I had to get them since they fit my MU collection scale wise as well. So when I saw Kramer Toy Warden posted its availability on their Facebook page, I went ahead the next day to purchase a set of its 1st series. They cost P550 each, with a hundred peso discount if you buy a set. I do hope Series 2 make its way here in the Philippines since my team badly needs Dominic and the Cole train.

Marvel Hauls
Now it's time for the main entree of this article, now lets bring in the good stuff. Here are the new Marvel recruits for 2013:
  • Iron Monger (Comic Series)
    I remember seeing the preview for the Marvel Legends BAF Comic Monger, and I realized that I still haven't gotten this figure from the IM2 line, fotunately I found one for sale. Got this from son_goku, who at that time was letting go his MU collection to shift to his new found love, Minimates. As seen in the picture, I also got a Black Bolt Minimate which I did disposed when I sold my lot. I forgot how much I paid for this, but as usual I've always had great deals with son_goku.
  • Deadpool (from 2 pack with Taskmaster)
    This version of Deadpool has eluded for most of the time. I just can't seem to find a break for this figure. It has been the Deadpool that I wanted since it has a raised pinky. LOL. I got this from a group buy that did push through! Got it at a fair price of P500.00! 3 Deadpools down, Deluxe and Barakapool version next! 

  • Toxic Blast Venom
    Got this figure from a fellow colletor coy2s for P600.00. I've always been satisfied with my Stretch Strike Venom however, I've always wanted an Eddie Brock version so I pulled the trigger on this one.
  • Maisto Red VespaThis is one of the things I've been hunting for my Deadpool! I can't seem to find this in conventions so I just settled for ride fillers as seen in my previous posts here and here. I'm just so glad to have gotten this. Again, I acquired this via a trade with son_goku for my Hawkeye Minimate back then.
 
  • Grappling Hook Spider-man (Manga Spider-man)
  • Capture Trap Spider-man (Ben Reily)I was kinda interested with the design of this Spidey, having wraps on his arm and a huge pair of rubber shoes. I've read later on that this was a Manga version of Spider-man. When the Amazing Spider-man toyline reached clearance sale, I immediately went for this figure and the Ben Reily version as well. Got them both for P300.00 & P200.00 respectively. Not bad, since I get to have 2 figures for the price of 1. Gotta love clearance sale!
  • Dark Hawkeye
    The only missing character for my Dark Avengers lineup that has been released by Hasbro. Well technically I'm still missing Moonstone, but the Warbird-Classic Ms. Marvel headswap will do. I've been trying to search for this at a reasonable price but couldn't seem to get one, so I bit the bait when I saw a P600.00 LOC complete with file card and stand on ebay from anvil.
  • Iron Man Drones
    Since I started army building (of two that is), I haven't gotten much luck getting two of each drones within my budget so I did pass on these figures for quite a period of time. Luckily, WilVil posted his this set for P1000.00 if I remember correctly, and I did put dibs right then and there. I believe a P300 pricetag for each is reasonable enough and it gives me an instant army of drones without having to track down and hunt for each kind. Now I just need a Sea and a Hammer Drone.

  • Spider-man 2099
    This was the only thing I got from the 2013 ToyCon which was held last June in Megamall. Came in during the last day, nothing much for MU collectors still the same old stuffs I see in Greenhills. Didn't want to come home empty handed so I got an MOC Spiderman 2099 for P300.

  • Iron Man Movie Armory (Mark 1-7, War Machine, Don Cheadle, ML Iron Monger, Vibranium Armor)
    It wasn't really my intention to have an Iron Man armory however this deal was to good to pass on. A seller in PTK, was selling this set for around P1700. It was an easy dibs for me since, the IM2 figures were almost wiped out from the pegs during those times since they were already in clearance for quite a period of time. When I got this set, I sold Mark I and War Machine since I already have them prior to this deal. I also sold the Vibranium Armor since I really didn't want an armory, and that would only push me to hunt and buy all other IM armors in the market which would leave me.. uhm.. a little more broke?


  • ASM Lizard
    As with most of the collectors, I am a sucker for clearance. The figure is obviously atrocious, as it lacks decent articulation and its too small to be in scale with the movie Lizard. However, being an OC collector, I needed it for my movie-verse shelf. Good thing it went on clearance, just before I was willing to get it at SRP. Whew!
  • Shocker
    This figure is one of the hardest to find figure for MU collectors here in the Philippines, but not in Canada.  Luckily, a friend of mine who lives in Canda, hooked me up with 3 Shockers which were sold at clearance price during that time. 1 Shocker was for my collection, and sold the other 2.

  • Classic Avengers Boxset
    I'm a big Avengers fan, whenever I buy or collect Marvel related stuffs I always start by building the big 4 first and it expands from there. I was already eyeing this boxset though the increase in its SRP price made me pass on it. However lilvhazty of PTK, posted that MU boxsets are on clearance price of P1,000. I then went to Toy Kingdom Megamall after 2 days, and got one boxset for me. Again, gotta love clearance!
Got all these items from son_goku while he was disposing his MU collection. Got them all for a reasonable price
      • Classic Ms Marvel
        I got this, just so I can swap her head with Warbird (that Moonstone figure is just so hard to track down! Damn it!) thus making my Dark Avengers lineup complete.. uhm.. well except for Noh-Varr and Ares. Please Hasbro, make it quick. My OC disorder is really killing me.
      • Iron Man Mark I (Comic Version)
        I don't know why, but I really dig the rusty metallic paint app on this figure. That's about enough to get me to place dibs on this guy.
      • BAF Mojo
        As most collectors know, some BAF's work well with MU in terms of scale and this guy is one of them. I got this in advance, just as I was about to get the Uncanny X-men boxset, which comes with Longshot, from my nephew in Singapore. Ironically, despite Mojo looking ugly as hell, he looks great displayed with my X-verse collection.


      • Uncanny X-men & Inhuman boxset
        My nephew from Singapore was coming back to the Philippines for a short vacation and he asked me what I wanted. Without batting an eyelash I said "toys!"  To be more specific, the Uncanny X-men and Inhumans boxset. Luckilly he did found these in their local Toys R Us store, and he even asked me if I wanted the West Coast Avengers boxset as well, unfortunately I didn't have enough budget for another and I only needed Mockingbird, so I opted to pass. Got one boxset for free, as it was considered a gift, and just payed P1,300 for one! Perks of having friends and relatives in abroad! :D

        These 2 boxsets never really reached retail here in the Philippines. It was kinda odd since previous boxsets never failed to flood retail shelves. I'm still wondering what happened there.
      • West Coast Avenger boxset sans Hawkeye
        I was confident enough that I'll find these figures locally, and boy was I right. Got this from Optimus Prime of PTK. I was just planning to get Mockingbird, however I was still missing a Comic Warmachine at that time, so I bit the bait and got him as well.
      • Marvel Universe Wave 20 (Nova, Angel, Hercules, Puck, Nighthawk)
        I remember there was another drought for MU collectors, since the ML line returned. Distributions were often announced, but only for ML collectors. Then Sir Eric announced a MU distribution! Every MUllector felt alive again, unfortunately for me, it fell on a Saturday. As I said before, I have no weekends except for Sunday because of my life-sucking work. So I did try to find a way, and asked a favor from Mr. Advocate Pinoy himself, to get me one set. However, luck was not kind to me again as stocks sold out fast and we didn't get any.

        Days passed, and a store called my mobile and asked me if I wanted a set for SRP price, and like a meek sheep I said "yes please." The next day, I ran to the store and got me one set without having to settle for overpriced ones from scalpers.
      • Marvel Universe Wave 22 (Elektra, Mysterio, Capt. America)
        This wave was never released in a distribution which left us MUllectors, confused and clueless with regards to MU's fate here locally. These reached local shores through specialty and hobby shops with a much steeper price compared to retail. But despite the price, MUllectors still got these as they weren't sure if these will ever be distributed. I was slow to hunt these figures and they got the best of me, as every Greattoys store I went to were all sold out. But one trip to their GH branch after work, lead me into buying the lone Elektra figure on the peg for P600. Then after a week, Big Boys also got stocks of this wave and from them I got Mysterio for P900 and Cap for P600. It was a bit steep, however I wanted to feel secured so I gave in. Rhino was a pass for me, since I’m happy with my Rhino from the Spiderman line. Yah maybe it lacks articulation, but I really dig its massive body and sculpt.
      • SDCC Spider-man
        Having a movie-verse shelf made me hunt for this figure. I remember seeing these at clearance price of P300 during events, but I just ignored them. But all is good, got them LOC for P300 as well.

      • Marvel Universe Wave 23 (Cloak & Abomination)This had the same fate as Wave 22, being undistributed in retail and only appearing in hobby shops. Got my share in Big Boys for P900 each. The price, once again, is higher than what I would usually intend to pay for, however the uncertainty of these figures being available again at an affodrable price is what made me buy it with one eye closed. Didn't bother to get Baron Zemo since I got one from the Masters of Evil boxset, and the black Iron Man since I'm not a fan of repaints if it is intended to be the same character.

        What pisses me off with this wave is the introduction of "character variants." It makes it harder to acquire these so called variants specially with the way they have been making their case assortments. They could have at least included each variants with the regulars in every case. And what could be a better 2-pack than Cloak & Dagger? Up to this point, no sightings of A-bomb & Dagger being available locally. It bothers me seeing Cloak sans Dagger in my display. Hope it reaches us soon.
      • Avengers Assemble Black Widow, Red Skull, HulkDuring the preview of these figures, I was quite into it. The figures are pretty much well done from the looks of it. When I saw fellow collectors posting their hauls of these, I then ran to the nearest Toy Kingdom in my area and saw the complete series 1 line up on the shelves. Right away I grabbed Red Skull, Black Widow and impulse-buy-Hulk. I must admit, these figures are quite good in terms of aesthetics (haven't open them yet) I was just surprised that each costs P700 at retail, gone were the days of P500 a pop.
      • Thor Dark World Kurse & Dark ElfAlmost a month before Thor The Dark Wold was shown in theaters here locally, I was surprised to see these at Radjj (love that shop!) At first, I just saw a Thor figure, however when I asked if they have any other from the toyline, she showed the others which weren't on display yet. I had the chance to choose and went home with Kurse for P500 and Dark Elf for P700.

        And here's my latest Ultimate Haul of Hauls

      • Marvel Universe Wave 24 (Omega Red, Aurora, X-force Nightcrawler, Black Night) Baron Zemo, Iron Man
        Lately, I wasn't very much active online, so I missed it when Sir Eric posted the this wave would be distributed in a different way. Instead of the usual "wake up early, wait for the mall to open, run to the table, sign up, get a number, wait, claim and pay" reservations were made through placing a comment in the thread. I was so pissed with myself since I saw the post a day after it was posted. Seeing the comments made, I was too late since MU set reservations were closed according to Sir Eric. However he said that he would try to get more stocks, so I was placed in waiting list. I wasn't really expecting that I'll get a set reserved for me, since I know many were thirsty for a MU set. However I woke up one day with a PM from Sir Eric telling that my set is ready and asked me when I would I be available to pick up the set. To cut the story, I got my item from Sir Eric in Megamall, and had a nice little chat with him. He then told me that he's convincing/suggesting PK to get the variants! Hopefully it does arrive soon!

        The set include the whole wave 24, which is suppose to be the last wave for Marvel Universe before its branding transition. It also includes Baron Zemo and black Iron Man from the previous wave which I'm currently selling as of this post. Please... purchase them already. I'll feature you here if you do! :3

        It's good to see that a distribution was made for MU. I do hope that the 2 previous waves be distributed as well for those who haven't got them yet. I'm not sure if I'm in favor of the new distribution system. I mean, yah it lessens the hassel of waking up, and striding just to get ahead of the table not knowing if you'll be able to bring one home but I kinda miss seeing and chatting with fellow MUllectors, bragging about their queuing number, and hanging out right before the actual distribution during 1PM. But whichever way, as long as everyone gets some I'm happy with it.


                It's been quite a year for my toy collecting; I might have spent more than what I planned for, for 2013. It's truly another fruitful year for my collection as it continues to grow and expand. I’m now on my fifth shelf, and as of now I'm thinking of mainly making it my "classic" shelf where I would classic versions of characters together. With the final wave of Marvel Universe being released, I can say it has been a good run for the line and it's sad that the brand would be let go. But let's not be devastated by this, as it has been said.. "All ends with beginnings." Thanks Pharell & Daft Punk for the fitting lyrics. I just hope that the new Avenger line would not disappoint the ever loyal MU community. Long live MU!

      Expect to see more write-ups, reviews, and just about anything Marvel, MU and toy related and I really mean it this time since I'll be becoming my alter-ego Bearako, full time!!!     Nah just kidding, I'll just have a lot of free time this coming holiday, and I do have lots and lots of ideas for write-ups in my mind, and even a contest perhaps? or maybe that's a long shot since I don't have enough followers... yet? (hopefully :D) So standby for more! Peace! :D

      Oh, and I have a new logo! :3   


      2 comments:

      1. do another collection pic!

        ReplyDelete
      2. you forgot to include the wave with The Leader!

        ReplyDelete