Sunday, October 25, 2015

TOY CUSTOM: Spider-Man


Couldn't decide which Spidey to use as my default, so I decided to create/kitbash one.

        With tons of Spider-Man figures released in this scale, I've always find it difficult to settle on one as my main comic Spidey. I've always used the Superhero Showdown version as my default for quite awhile. I've also used the 2-pack Spidey (w/ Capt. Britain) as my backup if ever I wanted a bulkier Parker. However, I lost it when I used the head for my Agent Venom custom, thus making me hunt for another one.


        I recently bought the "Ultimate Spider-man regular variant" to be the replacement to my 2-pack Spidey, since I kinda liked it more because of the big eyes and "thwip" hand. Having the figure on hand, I wasn't that satisfied since I find the lines a bit thick, and the sculpt on the body wasn't defined as compared to the 2-pack. The body used, looks kinda short as well.

Looking at what I have, I tried to mix and match parts and ended up with this. Here's the recipe:
2-pack Spider-man | Ultimate Spider-man regualar | Capt. America
Torso & Thigh: 2-pack Spider-Man
-Love the lining on this figure. It's not too thick, and the spider logo on his chest looks much better. The body also has a much defined sculpt and is taller compared to the Ultimate one. Also, love the thigh cut it has.

Head & Arms: Ultimate Spider-Man regular
-I so dig the head of the Ultimate and the big eyes it has. Used the arms and hand as well for the "thwiping" action.

Lower legs: Capt. America
-I used the lower legs of Cap to be able to integrate an ankle rocker articulation for Spidey. Also, decided to use this since the color combination is the same with Spidey, thus lessening the time for prepping. However, I did shaved off his leg since it's a bit too muscular for him. Also tried to match the blue and red used for the figure and applied it on the lower leg. I then handpainted the web pattern, which is quite a task to do.

Here's how it looks like assembled and unpainted. As you can see I did shave off the lower leg, to lessen the muscle.

Shaved off leg
Painting the leg, and trying to match the red and blue tone


        Here's the finish product! Other than the thickness of the web pattern that I painted, I am pretty much satisfied with the result! Finally happy to have a "more" articulated comic Spidey. This is definitely going to be my default one for quite a long time, unless Hasbro releases an epic one.


No comments:

Post a Comment