Sunday, December 15, 2013

NEWS/TOY HAUL: 8th Christmas Toys & Collectibles Fair



        It's that time of the year again, where we spread the Christmas cheer by singing loud for all to hear! :3 This is the event that toy collectors look forward to, to wrap up their year of toy hauls! It's the annual Christmas Toys & Collectibles Fair or simply known as X-mas ToyCon, or just ToyCon as we commonly refer to. As I am writing this post, there's about an hour left before this event wraps up. As always, it's being held at Megatrade Hall 1 of SM Megamall. I've always looked forward to this event as I've always been in luck finding some gems for the past 2 X-mas ToyCons, that's why I really did set an appointment for this one.

        During day 1, I did come to the event around 10:00 AM just as the mall gates were open. I was really planning to bring my camera to take some shots but decided not to since it was kinda heavy and I have to go some place else after the event. So I apologize ahead for the this text heavy entry. The long line at the ticket booth wasn't a surprise. As I waited in line, I was glad too see old familiar faces waiting as well. As I got into the venue, I wasn't really hunting for a specific figure. I was just there scouting around and looking if I could stumble upon an MU scaled figure at a good price. The venue was quite small, being just held in a single hall, that's why it didn't took me long to scout the whole place. The items and sellers are the usual ones we see in Greenhills, only they are selling there items a step lower than their shop price. There's nothing much for Marvel Universe collectors like me, although I did see a MOC Cloak & Dagger set for Php 1,700.00. I didn't see anything newsworthy, or maybe I just overlooked something. It may be a good opportunity for those who are starting to collect MU, since there's a stall selling loose MU figs at reasonable-but-not-cheap prices.
        Other than that, there wasn't anything that got my attention except for the Knock Off Lego figures of Marvel Characters at Php 50.00 a pop! Those things are really really tempting me, but I was able to fight off the urge. I'm just not sure how long I'll be able to ignore them. During my Divisoria visit a month ago, I saw only the Big 4 of the Avengers, Spider-man and Wolvie having a Knock-off Lego figure. However, during the event I did see new characters such as Loki and Deadpool! Now that's a reason for me to bite on these. But not now.

KO Marvel Lego photo by Jerickson Abuel
During the day itself, I also had some deals made outside the event from fellow collectors. I did meet up with them during the event to get hold of some figures I had reserved. These were my saving grace since I didn't want to go home empty handed again.


  • White Iron Fist, Team X Wolverine & Ragnarok
    Got these from a Group Buy that was handled by the MU lord himself, Jeff. This was the 2nd successful GB by Jeff that I was involved in, and I remember the first one being epic! Got these just to fill some gap for my collection. I got the White Iron Fist so that I could partner him with my 'Thug' Luke Cage, as I partnered my green one with Power Man for my 'Classic' display. Also got Ragnarok for my Dark Avengers lineup. And I have no clue why I did get this Team X Wolverine, which is being despised by most collectors by being effin' ugly. Maybe it wouldn't look too bad when I display him beside Maverick.
  • Spiderman (from 2pack with Capt. Britain)
    This came from a streamlining collector and a good friend of mine, Yodimonjet. I was in search for my default Spider-man. I know I said that this was going to be my default one however it wasn't really doing it for me, I mean don't get me wrong the Showdown version really is a great figure however it's too fragile to be played upon. So from the tons of Spideys out there, I did intend to get this version. I mean, the sculpt and the hue of its color is just perfect for my taste. The articulation isn't too bad as well, it has a thigh cut that could help do those Spidey signature poses. However a web shooting hand could have been much better.
  • WWII Capt. America
    Now this is my lone haul from the ToyCon. Got this for Php250.00 loose. Not bad, I remember these were sold at clearance back then however I didn't bother getting one since I wasn't too fond of getting duplication of characters back then. However, when I saw these during the event, It does look good! And what's even great is that it was complete when I got it! It has a hand gun, a vintage rifle, shield and his helmet! And the articulation of this figure is hands down great, from the ankle rockers and wrist hinge just to name a few.

The event wasn't quite what I expected it to be or maybe that's just me. I wasn't really disappointed, but I wasn't satisfied as well that's the reason why I didn't bother going during the 2nd and 3rd day. I might as well just save up for the holidays for some other stuffs. I know some or most of you guys got what you wanted, as I saw in various toy forums, and I'm glad you guys did. 
On the side, here are other stuffs I got these past weeks:

  • Avengers Assemble Wave 2
    Got these from an online seller for SRP. As of this post, these aren't available on retail yet that's why I did bought these online once I saw it. I do hope that these reach local retail for everyone to get their share.

  • IM3 Assemblers: Iron Man Mark 42 & Iron Patriot These figures are currently on its 2nd clearance price here locally. I obviously did get the 2 movie armors, as I am still contemplating whether or not to get the Starboost armor. These figures are really crappy in terms of articulation, however at Php200.00 a pop, I might be able to forgive Hasbro somehow.
  • Red Horse Pony(?)
    Oooh and I also got this horse for Php 10.00 at Toys R Us. I'm planning to modify it to fit Black Knight. I do hope it works, I'll keep you guys posted on this.


1 comment:

  1. that Red Pony is the best item from this haul!

    ReplyDelete