Sunday, August 30, 2015

TOY CUSTOM: Spider-Gwen


Really love the whole "What If's" of comics, such as this rendition of Gwen Stacy's character. What if Gwen was the one bitten by the radioactive spider and not Peter Parker? Then there, Spider-Gwen was born.




I've always wanted to do a Gwen Stacy figure, ever since obtaining Mary Jane years ago. But I never got a chance to get spare fodders for it. But with the introduction of Spider-Gwen, my urge just got even stronger to really make one. Seeing alot of great custom creation of this character, enticed me to do one myself. And that I did.

Got a loose Wasp figure from Land Orys, and started tinkering and planning how to get things done. I was torn between, a masked and a maskless version that I decided to do both! Wasp's default head, looks great as Gwen with a little modification. Did had some trouble finding a masked Spider head since everything seems too big. So I tried to find the smallest Spidey head that I had, and found the one from the Amazing Spider-man figure!

So here's the recipe


Whole Body - Wasp
Maskless - Wasp with Thor hair and sculpt
Mask - Amazing Spider-man sanded
Removable Hood - sculpted


I did use Thor's hair as an extension, and then sculpted the rest to make it blend. Painted it blonde, and washed it with brown to give it depth. Also painted Gwen's signature headband :)


For the hood, I was planning to use Zartan's, but it just wasn't right compared to her hood in the comics. So I decided to sculpt a removable one from scratch. Happy with the outcome.

Painting the body wasn't that hard since its just 2 tone, black and white. However the tricky part was the web lines on her arm and under her hood. May not be as thin as I would want it to, but It looks clean enough for me. Also, I'm glad prepping the joints wasn't that tedious since I didn't bother sanding down most of her joints from the waist down since the plastic is already black. Saved me a lot of time there :)






No comments:

Post a Comment