Wednesday, June 24, 2015

TOY HAULS: Philippine ToyCon 2015


Here's a bit of a late post.
It's that time of the year once again where toy collectors and enthusiasts gather up in one convention. Philippine Toy Con 2015!!!


The biggest toy convention in the Philippines has just wrapped up this weekend and I myself got a chance to experience it on the 2nd day, Saturday here in Manila.

During the day itself, got there as early as the mall opened. The queue for the ticket quickly became lengthy as everyone seems excited to get in including myself. Prices for the ticket is at Php 150, which is kinda pricey, but the heck I can live with that.

I won't go too much into details with the event itself but you guys can check out this awesome review by otakumanila http://www.otakumanila.com/review-toycon-2015/. I didn't bring my camera with me, since it's too bulky and I knew the place would be crowded on that day. And boy was I right! So apologies if I have no personal photos to share.

Prior to the event, I've had deals that were scheduled for meetups in Megamall. Just like any other conventions, it's the perfect time to have meetups done since collectors are most likely to go to the event. Did unload a lot of my Joes during the event, giving me ample budget to pay for my new acquisitions.

Here's a list and a quick backstory of each item I got during the con, as I plan to do feature writeups on each haul soon!

Funko Pop! Sheldon Cooper
Got this one from a fellow collector, Ryan Dabu. Big fan of the show til season 3 but never got a chance to catch up afterwards due to lack of free time.

GI Joe Snake Eyes (Training)
Now this one I got for a bargain price from TS118's Eifferson, also known for his Joe customs. Got this for fodder purposes since I'm planning to do a custom team that I had in mind. Hopefully I get to finish the whole team once I got the right pieces for them. Clue? Capcom.


SHS Magneto
Now this is bargain! Got this from MicMac Toys for only P145!!!! Though it has no cape, but for P145!! It's a steal deal! You know how much I love the Showdown line as seen here. I just have to find a spare Magneto cape and fix it to fit the figure, and this will definitely be my default Erik on my display.


Bootleg Bricks (SY Hawkeye, Dargo Quicksilver, Scarlett Witch, Vision)
I must say I've been out of my brick collection for a long time, and it was never my intention to return to it anytime soon. But with the inclusion of a Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch in the new Avengers movie, I knew I had to update my brick lineup! Got these from RJ Toys & Collectibles for a very affordable price! Check out their Facebook page for great deals here!


Marvel Select Avenging Hawkeye


Now THIS is the highlight of my Toy Con experience for this year! Wasn't able to PO this when it became available from one collector. Had a hard time hunting for this, since none of the major stores or hobby shops were offering them. Fortunately, I was lucky enough to have gotten this from Ulrik Toys! Got the last loose, but complete, piece that they had and didn't think twice of getting it. Totally worth it being the Hawkeye collector that I am!

Overall, it was a fulfilling Toy Con 2015 for me compared to the previous ones. Got a chance to see familiar faces as always. Almost got me that Toy Con PH Exclusive Funko Pop! Aswang. Good thing I was able to stop myself from doing so just to keep my budget intact.

Photo by Matt Dalisay
It was fun overall, it's just that the selling floor is getting more cramped and crowded yearly. In line with that issue, news around the community says that next year's Toy Con will be held at SMX in Pasay. I do have mixed feelings about that though. It's good for the event since SMX is more spacious, and it has more of that 'convention' vibe to it. However, location wise it's a bit far south from what we've been used to, unlike Megamall as it's in the heart of the Metro making it accessible for everyone. Though despite those changes, I still see myself going next year. Kinda excited to see how ToyCon will look in SMX. Til next con!

Will be cooking up individual toy haul/toy feature for each of my hauls so stay tuned for that! :D


No comments:

Post a Comment