Thursday, June 28, 2012

REVIEW: Ultraposeable Spider-Man



This review might be a bit late for toy collectors, but it is just in time before the premiere of the new The Amazing Spider-man movie starring Andrew Garfield as Peter Parker. With just a day away, I decided to do a take on the Ultraposeable Spider-man figure.
I remember the time when most of  the MU fans went gaga over this figure once they saw fellow collectors posting their hauls on forums and Facebook pages. It created a hype which lead to the figure being almost invisible in every retail stores due to collectors getting infected and hoarders seeing potential profit in it. I always said to myself that I wouldn't bite into the hype, and that I didn't need another Spider-man figure in my collection.

Even though I didn't intend to buy one, I always did monitor this figure's price on eBay, and to no surprise sellers are jacking up the price on this due to the growing hype. I did regularly check the shelves, during my trip to local toy stores and I rarely see them. However, when I passed by Toy Kingdom in Podium, I did see a lone Ultraposeable Spider-man on the shelf luring me to pick him up, and that I did. I wasn't quite sure if I wanted the figure, or is it just the hype that got me into buying one which lead me to the decision of not opening the figure just yet for I might sell it one day.

Weeks passed by and retails stores were filled with The Amazing Spider-man merchandise. Shelves were flooded with tons and tons of figures including the once hard to find Ultraposeable Spidey and Venom. Though now, I see prices at less than SRP from the same sellers that were selling it at jacked up prices. Still the figure was with me unopened, and then I realized that it would be great and timely if I could do a review on it, specially with the upcoming Spider-man movie reboot closing in.


Where did I acquire it?:  Toy Kingdom Podium
How much?: Php 500.00 (approx $10.00)
Condition during acquisition: MOC


Packaging: 
The card art shows the promotional Spidey photo of the upcoming The Amazing Spider-man movie. It's the standard carded packaging they've been using for the 1:18 scale with minor changes to give identity to the said movie. The jagged edge style of the clamshell doesn't really appeal to me, and seems so random. I have no idea what they are trying to portray with that style. In front you can see how it shouts out its "over 20 points of articulation." And at the back, it does the same by showing you the different poses it can do. Various figures from the line are also shown at the back which, I assure you, is not worth your penny unless you're a completist or an ultimate Spidey fan.





Accessories:
 


From the various figures from this line, it is the only one to be packed with no accessories. I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing. The good thing is that they finally saved up on plastic, by not making those unnecessary gimmicky weapons which no one seems to care about. The bad thing is that, they could have at least included a web accessory from that saved up plastic material. I mean there's no need to do a new mold. They could have just recycled some Spidey web from the MU line and repainted it just to say that its a different one.



Sculpt:

PROS:
  • The sculpt details on this figure is superb. You can see that the lines on his costume are intricately sculpted.

  •  Blue parts of his costume have scale textures on them.

  • Spidey logos are embossed. 

  • Sculpted webshooters can be seen.

CONS:

  • The hands are a hit and miss for me. I don't know what happened during the final stages of the development for this figure, but I hope they could have just sticked to the original hands for the figure which was a web shooting hand and a closed fist which can be seen at the back of the packaging.

  
  • It seems like they ditched having details on the sole of his shoes.
  • No peg holes.
  • Legs seems to be too long and unproportioned specially when he's just standing straight up.


    Paint:

    PROS:


    • I dig the metallic blue feel that they used on the figure. 


    •  Spidey logos are painted perfectly.



    • I'm not sure which one is movie accurate, (Basing from the movie, his eyes are made out of a reflective glasses of some sort. Meaning, its color will depend on his environment.)  but I do prefer the dirty white-bluish color of the eye that they went with instead of the yellowish one which can be seem from the packaging. 

    CONS:
    • First thing I noticed about the paint, is that they didn't applied black paint on Spidey's lining. I hope they could have at least applied a paint wash on it just so they could fill the lines. It could have given the figure more depth in terms of aesthetics.
    • The webshooter could have been painted silver, but this is just a minor concern and can be remedied easily.


    Articulation:

              PROS:
    •  "OVER 20 POINTS OF ARTICULATION" 'nuff said. I'm loving the ankle rocker and that web shooting wrist articulation.
    CONS
    • Seems like they forgot to add a calf/shin and waist swivel.



    Size Comparison:

    L-R: MU Series 1 Spider-man (dark variant),  Ultraposeable Spider-man , Lizard (comic series)
    Wish I could do a comparison with the SDCC Spider-man figure, unfortunately I don't own the figure.



    Angle View:
    Click to enlarge



    Overall Grade

    It is the only figure worth picking up in the line if you are a non-completist collector. It truly is poseable though maybe not that "ultra" but definitely poseable. It's a great figure to add to one's collection. The sculpt is great, and articulation is worth every penny spent. The figure can mime all if not most Spider-man poses you can think of. It's definitely something you won't regret purchasing and I sure had a lot of fun having him pose for the camera!

    Accessories - N/A

    Sculpt - 4/5
    Paint - 3.5/5
    Articulation - 4.5/5
    Value - 4/5
    Final Grade - 4/5

    No comments:

    Post a Comment