Saturday, July 19, 2014

REVIEW: Marvel's Death's Head


        We got here Marvel Infinite Series Wave 2's Marvel's Death's Head! (now that's a lot of possessiveness << and that's a lot of double 's')

       I believe this figure was already announced way back during the MU days. And to be honest, up until now, I know nothing much about this character except basing on the card at the back, he's a mechanoid mercenary. Although, I read that he originated from the Transformers-verse which is quite interesting how the character was able to crossover. I really applaud Hasbro, for constantly including obscure and non-mainstream characters in the line such as Death's Head. It does add to vastness of the roster of this toyline which I'm really fond of! I love having new characters in my collection, than having the same characters in a different costume! So this one is a welcome addition for me!

       This was made available here in the Philippines, via an event distribution. It was sold as set of 5 that includes Marvel's Death's Head, Red She-hulk, Whirlwind, Eric Masterson Thor and the reissued Yellow Jacket. Didn't get the chance to attend the event, and I wasn't willing to get a set since I only needed 3 out of the 5 figures as 2 of them are reissued figures that I already have, and I didn't want to pay retail price on Eric Masterson. So I did go the other way and just pre-ordered what I needed. Just a quick rant on the new Infinite Series line, it seems like they are including reissues in the newer waves. I'm not really against it, however I just wish they tone down a bit of the quantity of the reissues per wave and give us new characters. Or if they are going to reissue please do the rare ones like the Solid Vision and the first series Black Panther to name a few. And please, stop it with the Bleeding Edge Iron-Man :|

       Here's A quick look on the complete Wave 2 of the Infinite Series.

Whirlwind, Death's Head, Eric Masterson, Red She-Hulk, Steve Rogers, Yellow Jacket, Beta Ray Bill


Where did I acquire it?:  Local Store Pre-order
How much?: Php 750.00
Condition during acquisition: MOC


Packaging: 
Since the rebranding of MU to the Infinite Series, they have been using the standard black themed packaging. From the looks of it, it does seem to lean towards adult collectors however I still miss the old design with various character illustration up-front which adds value to it. This just seems too plain for my taste.




Accessories:
 

One thing we can take note with these 4 inch figures, is that they have been cutting us out with accessories. However with Death's Head, he comes with a shield that goes on his back with 2 clips that barely holds his axe and spike weapons. These, however, can replace his hands which fits perfectly for a more menacing look.


Sculpt:

PROS:

  • Loving the sculpt on this guy in general! It uses a retooled Colossus mold which totally makes sense. There are a lot of details given to this figure as seen from the weathered armor and weapon, to the face sculpt, to the spikes and heck even the cape has a texture! It really does resemble it's comic counterpart on point!
  • It has a loose removable armor plate and skirt which allows the articulation to function well. 
 CONS:
  • None!


    Paint:

    PROS:





    • The paint application is very well done! No paint blotches on mine! Loving the colors that they used, especially the metallic blue on his shoulder pad and skirt. It almost seem like he came right out of a comic!
      CONS:
      • None again!


        Articulation:




                  PROS:
        • It uses the Colossus mold which perfectly fits him. Articulation is pretty much decent. Yah maybe it could have utilized some ankle rockers but I'm pretty satisfied with it's articulation as I'm not really a fan of putting too much unnecessary POA especially for non-agile characters such as Death Head.. well.. I'm not really sure though, I'm basing this one on his looks.. he seems heavy XD 
        CONS
        • Nada!


        Size Comparison:

        (L-R: MU Colossus, MIS Death's Head, MU Mr. Sinister)

        (L-R: MU Bullseye, MIS Death's Head, MU Hercules)



        Angle View:
        Click to enlarge



        Overall Grade


        This figure is hands down one of the most surprising and one of the greatest figures Hasbro was able to produce in the 4 inch line. From sculpt, to paint application and articulation this is definitely worth the purchase. What's sad about this, is that it's one of the lesser known character of Marvel, and this may probably turn out as an overlooked figure in the near future. And from what I've read it will be reissued again in Wave 4 together with the Guardians of the Galaxy reissue. I have a strong feeling that these will be abundant in stores soon. However, figure-wise it's definitely a must have! No complains here! And to be honest, this is probably my favorite in Wave 2!

        Accessories - 5/5

        Sculpt - 5/5
        Paint - 5/5
        Articulation - 5/5
        Value - 5/5
        Final Grade - 5/5

        No comments:

        Post a Comment