Saturday, July 5, 2014

2014 1st-Half Recap Marvel Universe Hauls ( January-June 2014)


Again it has been quite awhile since my last post. As much as I would want to do this regularly I just can't seem to find the time to squeeze this in. In the tone of Florence + The Machine's song, The 'Bum' Days are over. Being hired again for my 2nd job just this March, made it hard for me to continue blogging. But that didn't hinder me from continuously hunting for toys. So hopefully, with the right budgeting of time, I can post regularly again. Here's a little update of what I've been up to since my last post.


In the first half of my 2014, I could say I'm very much satisfied with the things I got. I've crossed out a lot of  figures in my checklist for MU, and just have been filling up holes in my collection.

Basically here's a list of the figures I've acquired since the start of the year.

Marvel Universe Scaled figures


-IM2 Comic Whiplash


My first MU scaled figure for the year! Got this as a part of a set that includes unwanted figures which I'm glad to have disposed off quickly. So I got this loose but in excellent condition. He has been in my checklist for quite a long time already and I'm glad to have slashed his name off my list to start the year. Really digging this version of Whiplash and the figure itself is done so well!


-XMO Movie Deadpool (Barakapool)

don't mind the mini figs :p

Definitely not the best rendition of Deadpool, and probably the most hated. But having a movie-figure shelf makes it an essential figure to have. This one is quite uncommon in the market these days that's why I'm a bit willing to pay around SRP for a loose one. Got this from an eBay seller, loose but in good condition. I must admit the figure is quite terrible being short, and having so-so articulation. But hey, it's Deadpool!

-Lockheed (for Kitty Pryde)


I got this from quitting collector's group buy with 2pack Mr. Fantastic figure (which I later turned to Nick Fury.) I never thought I'll be able to purchase a loose Lockheed! Got this for P150.00, yup I know it's costly for an almost 'accessory-like' type of figure but that's way cheaper than buying another Kitty Pryde figure!

Oh! and he even included a free Gremlin figure from the Legends line! I think it pretty much work for MU scale!

-CATWS Winter Soldier


This was released weeks before the movie was shown. Saw the complete wave 1 on the shelves of Toy Kingdom for the first time, however SRP is up. During that moment I only had budget a budget for 1 figure. So I just got the Winter Soldier! It was an easy choice, since I have no WS movie version yet, and his name is on the freakin' title of the movie! Red skull was nice, but I think I'm good with my 'zombie'-red skull from CATFA line. Steve Rogers figure was just down right ugly and fat which I will never bother picking up.

-IM3 Red Snapper


Not really an Iron Man collector, but this armor to be specific really grew on me. Got this from an online seller complete with the Exosphere IM armor, which I sold instantly. This figure never reached our shores, so I'm good with paying a bit above SRP. Figurewise, the sculpt is great and all, but like other IM3 figures in the line, the articulation sucks! The paint application isn't accurate with the movie, so i decided to customize it. The figure also suffers from a scale problem. For an armor that's so suppose to be huge, it's too damn small!

-CATWS Steve Rogers


Annnnd tthhherrreee i go! I just contradicted myself! I said to myself that I'll never get this, however a loose figure from Kramer's priced at a cheap price is a fair offer for me. I'll say it here, having a movie figure shelf/collection just makes you buy crappy figures whether you like it or not. And knowing the quality of these movie figures post-Thor 1, ready you shelves for more crappy figures.

-TDW Thor
Been hesitating to get this when I saw it in retail. I knew I had to get Kurse and the Dark Elf as they are new characters and that I did. However, as for the case of Thor, I had to choose between the two versions  released just to have a Thor version of TDW. However when I saw this in GH below SRP, MOC I immediately got one. Glad I didn't get this in at SRP for as of this post, they are on clearance!

-CATWS Falcon


Probably the best figure in the whole line! Got this at a local Toys R Us shelf. Didn't think twice about getting this one. Although the figure isn't 100% accurate in terms of his costume, it's definitely a keeper. Great addition if you have a movie-verse collection and it can even be an 'ultimate' version. Wish they could have added guns though.


-MIS  Wave 1 Grim Reaper, Hyperion, Wasp, Indestructible Hulk



Finally Wave 1! It's the rebranded MU figs! Got this from the ever reliable 'distribution' of Sir Eric. I did pay for this in advance so I can have a set reserved. I just wanted to be sure that I'll be able to get a complete set, specially the ever sought after figure of Wasp, come distribution day. Got my set during that day, and to my surprise there wasn't no line or collectors clamoring around the distribution table like the way it usually was. There were still ample stocks for everyone, that the wave reached pegs of retails stores. I don't know why, but probably the increase in price turned-off collectors.

Love the lineup for this wave, Hyperion being my favorite out of the 4. Wasp is okay, but I do think her head is too small. Grim Reaper is also a great addition and is very well made. The Hulk however, I'm still having second thoughts on. I mean figurewise I do think it's a good one however it's just another Hulk. I might consider keeping if Hasbro decides to create the rest of the Avengers in Marvel Now costumes.

-Hulk 2008 Emil Blonsky & Hulkbusters



Didn't even know they had these, as these were pre-Marvel Universe era. Also forgot where I got these, but I'll say it again and again, great addition for a movie-verse collection. And again, they are crappy, figure wise. They seem to be using a GI Joe buck for this as screws can be seen.

-MU SDCC Exclusive Taco Truck


Now this one hurts my wallet the most! However it was well worth the price. Ever since these were made available locally I really wanted them however the price range of P4,500-P5,000 wasn't an option for me! It's too damn expensive at the price range! Waited for one to pop-up at a reasonable price and glad I did chance upon one collector who was selling it for P2500 MISB! Oh boy, it was definitely worth it! From the characters and the accessories they had and THE PACKAGING! you just got to love it!!! Definitely one of the best SDCC items for MU!

-Avengers Chitauri & MU X-force Wolverine
Got these from a good friend and fellow collector from Singapore. The Avengers Chitauri together with Fury never reached local retail, so sellers here are jacking up the price for this even if they are loose. Good thing P-dub got me one, and an X-force Wolvie to complete my Hasbro released X-force team. Thanks again P-dub!

-MU TRU Exclusive Black Panther



I remember when this was released in retail back then, I was hesitating if I should get this since I already have the 2pack Black Panther. Years passed, and here I am with the same exact figure. Got this at a way cheaper price compared to it's SRP from an online seller MISB. Up until now I don't know which version would be my default Black Panther. Still the hunt for the series 1 version continues.

-GOTG Battler Groot


Just in time before the movie hits theaters here, the merchandise of GOTG has been out in retail for quite awhile now. It's a bummer that we, 4-inch collector, got no love from Hasbro with regards to movie versions of GOTG characters. Instead they went with the 2-inch figures. Seriously, who buys those things? If they're meant for kids, aren't those choking hazard? Oh well, at least we got a battler figure of Groot that works well with MU.


-MU Customized Solid Vision


Now this actually isn't a haul but a custom figure from Phoenix Force creation of Myke Dela Paz. I won't go too much on discussing this figures as this deserves it's own featured articled that I will do soon! So stay tuned for it! For now, I'll let this picture do the talking!


-MIS Wave 2 Death's Head, Whirlwind, Red She-Hulk



To be honest I was planning to skip this wave and get them much later since I wasn't too hyped with the lineup. There was a distribution event for this set by Sir Eric, however it was sold as a set of 5 with these including 80's bearded Thor and re-issued Yellow Jacket, so I didn't attend the even for I only wanted these 3. So instead, I pre-ordered this from a local toy store as they were made available as singles. Out of the 3 I'm surprised to have Death's Head as my favorite with all the amount of details put into it.

It has been a great half a year for me this 2014! There's just a few more left in my checklist for MU that I still need to hunt. With regards to the Infinite series, so excited for Wave 3! I guess that's the winner wave with Ares, Antman, Valkyrie, Deathlok, Cycke and Omega Red in the line-up! Already pre-ordered mine, just waiting for it around August-September. Although, I heard it's out already in the US and some Asian countries so here's hoping that it arrives here sooner. One gripe that I have with MU is that the interval of the new waves are seems to take too long. The waiting, makes me want to consider taking in a new line which I am starting now with a Hawkeye collection and bootleg Brick figures which I will make a featured article on. But overall it's all good! Expect to see new posts, features, reviews and stuffs in the upcoming weeks! Peace!


No comments:

Post a Comment