Monday, May 30, 2016

TOY REVIEW: Hydro-Man


The first one to be unveiled by Hasbro in this wave, Hydro-Man

First Impression:
For this wave, Hasbro teased us with silhouette images of these four figures in their Pulse website and revealed them on separate days.

        Being the first one to be unveiled for this wave, I was glad to have another Spider-Man villain in this line. I really am a sucker for Spidey's foes, so this one was a clear shoo-in for me. From the looks of the previewed photo, collectors were surprised to see that he has a "water-whirl" effect. I initially thought it was a great add-on that you can probably slip him in and out to give him an alternate look. However, with the on-hand photos being circulated it doesn't look that way.
        Hydro-Man is sporting his modern look, ditching his street thug-like appearance which is a better choice in my opinion. I really thought Hasbro would just use an Absorbing Man body and Hyperion head to create him.

Here's the rest of the assortment for 2016 Mavel Legends Series Wave 3


Each case consists of:
x1 of each Quasar, Roge, Hydro-Man, Morbius,
x1 reissues of Spider-Man, Armored Spider-Man, Black Panther


Where did I acquire it?: Kramer Toy Warden
How much?: SRP of Php 750 each / Preorder Php 4200 (set of 6)
Condition during acquisition: MOC

Packaging:

Accessories:

Sculpt:



+ Awesome sculpt on his "water-whirl" effect! First thought it was plastic but it's actually of a rubber type material.
+ Decent headsculpt.
- No legs.
- No line sculpt (or even paint) on his suit.


Paint:
+ Color tone used looks great.
The color on the "water-whirl" effect really looks amazing.
- A lot of the figure I saw had a sloppy face paint, that it took me awhile to pick one.


Articulation:
Now this is a clever one for Hasbro. Since it has got no legs, Hasbro made it up by using a MU upper body mold giving him full articulation from the waist up, and none down.


Size Comparison:

SM Shocker, MLS Hydro-Man, MU Spider-Man
MIS Sandman, MLS Hydro-Man, MU Electro

Angle View:
click to enlarge

Playtime Pics:


ADDITIONAL PHOTO UPDATES:
Some people are asking to see the peg that connects his waist. Here's a quick shot to give you a bit of an idea. Hope it helps.




Overall Grade



        I'm really glad with the character choice, as it adds up to growing foes of Spidey in this line. However the non-inclusion of legs kinda made it hard for me to give it a high rating. I believe the 6 inch line had their Hydro-Man with legs that can be switched with the water effect. I hope they did the same for us. Though, I believe it's possible to switch legs with this figure but I wouldn't want to mess with this one for now.

Accessories - n/a
Sculpt - 3.5
Paint - 3/5
Articulation - 3/5
Value - 3.5/5
Final Grade - 3.25/5



1 comment:

  1. Nice review. I also have this action figure and I think it is a nice figure even if does not have legs.

    ReplyDelete